How to Secure Large Gifts
Large or major gifts & donations are important for every nonprofit. While they don’t happen every day, consistently receiving significant gifts, either monthly or every other month can really help you meet your mission’s goals.
How can you secure large gifts from your donors? By asking them!
How to Ask Donors for Large Gifts
However, before you just ask all your donors to give large gifts, you should really think about who you’re going to ask. If you’re using a fund accounting or fundraising software, you can run a report to see who has made medium to large donations already and begin there.
Internal Questions to Ask Before Speaking to Large Donors
Here are the questions you should ask internally before going to do donors for large gifts:
- Are they ready to donate a large gift to your organization?
- How will you ask the donor for the gift?
- Does the donor know how their gift will be spent? Do they understand your mission?
- Will the donor have any concerns about donating? And if so, what will they be?
- Why will the donor say yes?
- Who is going to ask the donor for the large gift?
- Where will the donor be asked?
- What will happen after the donor says yes? Or if they say no?
Actions for After You Answer Internal Questions
Once you start receiving larger gifts from your donors, you should run special marketing campaigns for them so they’ll be more informed about what their money is able to do and more likely to continue to make larger contributions. Send them monthly or quarterly newsletters, photos of how your mission is succeeding, or an invitation to a special event to honor them.
The more you engage them after they donate and they can see the value, the more likely they are to continue donating
Learn More About Improving Nonprofit Fundraising
Capital Business Solutions is a fundraising and financial software solutions firm. We help nonprofit organizations streamline and simplify their accounting and fundraising through various software and training services. To learn more, call 919-821-1244 or fill out the form below.